Working in the Maya Angelou Centre (MAC) the various mentoring programmes at Highgate Wood School are designed to provide our students with the support they need to thrive and flourish as individuals, and to work closely with parents and families to ensure their children get the best out of their time here. Whether the benefits are academic, social or emotional, we always endeavour to help students to become all they can be.
Most referrals to mentoring are made by the Year teams, particularly the Heads of Year who have oversight of the pastoral needs of all students in their year. Parents\carers and students themselves are welcome to contact the respective Head of Year or Sixth Form lead with any mentoring requests.
We offer a range of mentoring programmes across the school community and these include:
- Bespoke 1:1 – Social, emotional or academic
- Transition – Year 7s Transition to Secondary
- Groups – Organisational, Social and Study Skills
- Peer Mentoring – Year 9/10 mentoring students in lower years
- Academic Mentoring – Year 12/13 mentoring Year 11 students through their final GCSE year
- Aspire & Achieve Mentoring – Staff mentoring for Year 11 students
Mentoring alongside good teaching and learning, is a key element to supporting student attainment and progress and allows students to get the most out of their education and achieve personal results to be proud of.
Lead Engagement Mentor: Lynda Jago